Current time: 01-26-2020, 10:09 PM
Shoutbox

« archive

Speaking of outrageous bids... Here I come!
25 Jan 21:25
Bath salts
25 Jan 18:50
What are the options?
25 Jan 05:31
what drugs were i on when i offered hosmer $50M
25 Jan 05:19
indeed!
23 Jan 09:27
autcorrect
23 Jan 09:16
; )
23 Jan 09:13
Female dawg?
23 Jan 09:13
extensions are a girl
23 Jan 08:13
i have too many teams to realize where the Fudge i am with all of them
23 Jan 08:13
Apparently he set the twitterverse / cub nation ablaze
23 Jan 06:48
23 Jan 06:46
The Rays tried "aggressively" to re-sign Maddon, during that period, but Maddon opted out of his contract.[38] Maddon finished his tenure with a record of 754 wins and 705 losses.
With due respect to "bob nightingale" (Pretty sure I know the name), Maddon wasn't fired.
Damn kyle my bad
22 Jan 13:57
Laim, check that Georges Niang post in KTR.
22 Jan 12:53
@threetwocount has the early lead for 2020 Chat MVP
21 Jan 13:57
Mountaineers dry fuct the Longhorns - you all don't need your own network- hook em horns,hah - you need somewhere to go and hide
21 Jan 13:13
Mb3 guys, Houston around to deal
20 Jan 03:27
your heart is dead if you don't like some Cassius Winston
18 Jan 12:05

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prospect Bidding
Current Rules

PC bids cost 300k plus whatever additional signing bonus you offer and from opening day onward the thread starter receives a 20% discount if they win the player (so PC+700K costs them 800k total). The first $3m you spend on prospects comes from your bonus pool (anything after is from regular cap).

Are any changes required?

I know that some people think that the reward for the thread starter should be greater. 

One possible idea is a 50% discount on the additional bonus amount (above the 300k) with a maximum saving of $1.5m.

Another angle is that there should perhaps be a cap on the number of prospects you can win (after the initial FA period) where you didn't start the thread. This would limit how much you could profit off the research of others and encourage you to 'learn how to fish'.

Maybe a max of 7 per season with no more than 3 from any one team?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
BTL-Twins, BTN-Cards, NP-Rockies

Thanks, Ace. I’d support a larger discount for the thread starter. I'd be opposed to a cap on TOTAL prospects you can win, but I'd be open to the idea of limiting the # of wins for threads you didn't start on your own (or a tax).

With a cost associated, it already serves as a semi-preventive measure for a crazy amount of bids.

Rebuilding teams are also likely to have more cash available and need to bid on more prospects, so it would hurt those teams more to limit their ability to prospect.

Throwing out an idea for discounts provided to teams that start the thread:
50% discount for players $900k or less, 30% discount $1m-$3m, 20% discount 3m and above. Haven't ironed out these numbers.
BTL - Mariners : BTN - Mariners : NP - Astros

I would not want a cap on prospects I can win on bids I didn't start.  I do plenty of research, but I may not find a guy until someone brings him to my attention.  

I'm good with a larger discount on the thread starter as I think that's a small but relevant incentive.
David
NP-PIT, BTL - MIL, MB3 - NYM
(But a REAL Cubs fan bleedin' Cubbie blue through and through!)

Perhaps rather than a cap (which could put people off bidding entirely) there could be a tax. So for players 6-10 where you didn't start the thread (after the initial FA period) you'd pay 500k extra after bidding had finished. 11+ would be $1m.

It functions kind of like a minimum raise (which a few people are in favor of) but you get a mulligan on the first few times where a guy was on your radar and someone else posted while you were deciding who to open bids on or when someone just slipped through your net.

Plus it doesn't artificially raise the auction costs (as a minimum raise would) so doesn't disadvantage teams low on cap.

I agree with what grantklein wrote.  I think he has a great perspective on this.  I like the tax idea, but didn't understand this paragraph:  "Perhaps rather than a cap (which could put people off bidding entirely) there could be a tax. So for players 6-10 where you didn't start the thread (after the initial FA period) you'd pay 500k extra after bidding had finished. 11+ would be $1m."  Can you give an example?
BTL- Pit, NP- KC

50 pct seems a bit much. But 1/4 if 1 mill or less bid or 1/3 if more, seems fair. I like these ideas ace! Mwximum should be a hit higher too imo... Maybe 2m vs 1.5 at least.

Also, please either don't have a maximum prospect bids OR set a far higher number (15? 12 at the least!!!). I know when i took Phil's on, I had to make all new pc auctions bc we had like nothing in the farm to use.
MB3, NP =  Dodgers
BTL =  Phillies (Former GM, Now owner!)
KTR  (Suns) - GM , QFL (Falcons) - GM
NFLC (Chiefs) - Owner

(01-17-2020, 12:33 PM)alanv25 Wrote: So for players 6-10 where you didn't start the thread (after the initial FA period) you'd pay 500k extra after bidding had finished. 11+ would be $1m."  Can you give an example?

6th player won at PC+700k ($1m total). You would be charged $1.5m for this signing. I think there's merit in some dispensation for non-playoff teams and/or new owners.

(01-17-2020, 01:00 PM)WilliamX Wrote: Also, please either don't have a maximum prospect bids. I know when i took Phil's on, I had to make all new pc auctions bc we had like nothing in the farm to use.

A cap on total bids was never under consideration.

great!
MB3, NP =  Dodgers
BTL =  Phillies (Former GM, Now owner!)
KTR  (Suns) - GM , QFL (Falcons) - GM
NFLC (Chiefs) - Owner

Thanks for the example.  Perhaps the league can vote on the percent.
BTL- Pit, NP- KC